The Domino Neutron Detector V5.4 is a solid-state neutron radiation sensor. Applications include those for border security, fundamental research (e.g., at neutron scattering beamlines), and industrial monitoring (e.g., personnel monitoring, water content in soil). Solid-state neutron detectors provide an alternative to the 3He-based detectors, maintaining a high thermal-neutron detection efficiency, at a fraction of the volume, mass, voltage, and power required from gas or liquid detectors.
The RDT Domino®
A strong demand for thin form factor neutron detectors with the flexibility to adjust available detection area has driven RDT to offer the end-to-end pluggable Domino ® with 4-cm2 detection area, 20% to 30% thermal neutron efficiency, less than 0.3-mW power consumption, and digital output per module. The digital outputs of the Domino ® may also be tied together in the tiled format.
The detector utilizes microstructured semiconductor neutron detector (MSND®) technology‡ with 6Li conversion to yield a thermal neutron detection efficiency of 30%. Optimum HDPE moderator for 252Cf neutron source at 1-m is 3-4 cm in front and 3-6 cm behind the MSND® sensor.
Electronics & Interfacing
The onboard electronics package includes a preamplifier,
shaping-amplifier, discriminator, analog-to-digital
converter, temperature sensor, and voltage regulator.
- Detector Area: 4 cm2 Pulse width: 5-50 μs
- Εthermal : 20(±1)%@ 20°C γ-reject: 1:107
- εCf-252: 0.034%(no mod) Mass: 9.5 grams
- εCf-252: ~0.07%(1in.3 mod) Pileup limit: <33 kcps
- Icont: 290 μA Rad Hard: <1010 Rads/s
- Vinput: 2.9-5.5 V Stackable: yes
- Voutput: 2.7 V (≥1kΩ) Tileable: yes, 1-D
- Sensitivity to Ambient Light : No
- Temp. Range: -40°C to 50°C
- Connector: Samtec (2mm Center)
- TMM-110-01-L-S-RA-007 (male)
- SQT-110-01-L-S-RA-007 (socket)